Monday, November 18, 2013

Week 16

So I am really really bad at timing these. Technically it's my 9th week in Malaysia, but it's my 15th week away from home, so I'm going to try being better at that.

So....more about my week.
Let's see...
This was actually a slower week than normal. Our dead time Wednesday through Friday is between 1 and 6, because everyone works, so really that's the slowest time of the day. I try to find things to fill up my time during that time.

I am just going to jump around my week a bit. On Friday, we went out to dinner with Jeffery (the member that has driven us around a lot lately) and his family. The kids just graduated from school so its a big deal to them now.
At the dinner, I picked up a soup, and I was about to eat it, and Sister Caroline asked me "Do you know what that is?" and of course I don't know what it is, so she tells me that it is fish lips. And so I'm like.... "Ou, so I am kissing a fish!" It was funny to them, but I just imagine a ton of fish kissing me and it grossed me out a little. So I think that's the most interesting thing I've eaten here so far. :) but hey, soon we will be eating Biawak, which is like a komoto dragon. You'll have to look it up. :)
Also on Friday, we went to a couple lessons. One of them was to a family with a bunch of small kids. And during our lesson, we were trying to talk about prophets, but then the mom lifts up her shirt to a kid that's like 4 years old, and then I totally lost focus about what I was teaching, because they show everything here. Culture shock for me!

As I said, I went to a market on Saturday. I bought a few things there like a shirt, a G-shock watch, which seems to be a pretty expensive watch in the States but I've never heard of them before,  and I also bought something called a Tikai. A Tikai is usually a bamboo mat that people lay on (You can see it in the Mormon movie called The Other side of heaven, it's a great movie) but I bought a softer mat. I tried it Saturday night, and its really hard. I woke up extremely sore because the floor is just too hard. maybe it would be better on carpet, but that is almost non-existent in Malaysia. After that we took a short visit to some caves. I'll send a couple pictures of it :)

Sunday, I woke up and one of the elders, Elder Poppleton, got extremely sick. He is a disaster right now. We think he got sick from some of the food we ate the night before, which was a birthday party for Jackson, a member in our church branch. He has only been out for 3 weeks though so he still isn't used to the food. I am so glad that didn't happen to me. His companion and I gave him a Priesthood blessing that night. It was a really cool experience for me because I've never given a blessing with oil before.
But that night, Elder Hirschi and I went over to a Budayuh family's house. They were baptized into the church a few months ago, and they are really cool. I was having a rough time understanding his Malay, but he was making me laugh nonstop. It was great. :D :D 

Anyway, I can't think of anything else for this week. Those are the highlights. :D :D 

Love you guys! Can you guys send me more pictures of what it looks like outside?  Then I"ll send you more pictures of what it looks like here. :D :D

-Elder Vincent






No comments:

Post a Comment