Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Week 20

Hello everyone! Time to talk about another great week in Bintulu. This being my second week in Bintulu still, I'm still new and I don't know exactly what I'm doing quite yet, but it's still pretty good. :)

There is so much to write about and so little time, (or I am just too lazy to write everything down)
First off I will start with a culture prospect. So....here there is no milk....At all...Well there is millk, but it is like 5 times more expensive than in KL and Kuching. So all we have is milk powder, which we mix with water and bam, milk. It's okay, good enough for cereal, but not for drinking. Ou well. :)

We are working with quite a few less active members. I will start with Martha!
So Martha is a member that Elder Ormsby started to reactivate in the church right before I came here. She has been really good and has a really strong testimony. We have started to teach her the lessons and we want to make her comfortable in teaching it back to us, so that she can teach her husband things. We want to try helping her with teaching her husband, but he doesn't believe in anything so missionaries in the past haven't had any success. But we will see! :) She also got me a Bible in Iban, which I am super excited about. It's almost impossible to get one of those, so I feel really lucky to have bought one. :)

Preston is our investigator, and he is the nephew of one of our less active members, but because we are teaching Preston, his whole family has become super super active, and now the uncle (Bujang) has a teaching calling. We taught him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and we also talked about the Word of Wisdom. Turns out he has a problem with smoking (as does 99% of everyone here in Bintulu) but he said he wanted to stop. This is really cool because he said he smoked 20 cigarettes a day, and then 2 days later, we asked him how his smoking was, and he was down to 7 a day already. Super super awesome!!!  He's progressing quickly.

Sister Listi is a member in the other branch, but we found out she could teach us how to make stuff out of beads. We went there twice. Once, she taught us how to make chili peppers out of beads, and then the second time, she taught me how to make a neck tie (the missionaries of course love that) So I have been making a neck tie. I think it will look really cool but I'll send you a picture of the small bit that I have already done. :)

Sister Sena is another less active member, so we have been going to her house. Like I said last week, her son was having problems with his stomach, so on Monday, we found out he went to the hospital because he is having appendicitis. We went there to give him another blessing. We haven't been able to meet with her since then, though.

A couple nights ago we had a sarung night, where we wear those little skirt things that Muslims wear. We took quite a few pictures which I will try to send in a second. It was really funny because we were trying our best to do our "kampung smile" which is the term for the people's smile here. They always look super super grumpy when they take pictures. 

Ou hey did you know that Vincent was a name for a cigarette brand? One of the members always tells me that. He will say to me, "Hey how are you a missionary if you are smoking all the time?" :D :D

So this week, we are going to Kuching for a Christmas conference!! :D :D That will be on friday. We get up early for our flight at 7ish, and then we have a couple hours. Jeffery is going to pick us up to go to Rhyno, an Iban store. Then we will stay the night and come back to Bintulu. Should be great. :D :D I'm excited.

So yeah, on the 26th, I will be skyping with you guys. :) dont forget! :D Just kidding, I know you won't.

Love you guys,
Jesse





No comments:

Post a Comment