Monday, December 22, 2014

Masuk Hutan, Cari Miding

Hey guys, this morning I woke up to go to Sister Madeline's house to help her find what is called "miding".  It is a special kind of vegetable (they are all just leaves here) that we were looking for. We waded through the forest for a while when we got to a lovely, bushy, thorny area that loves to scratch up my legs, and she starts pulling leaves down from the bushes, but not just any kind of leaves. They are speccciial kind. But honestly, they look like every other leaf in the forest.  She then taught us what ones are good and what ones aren't.  She can point them out from a mile away, and yet while she is pointing we still couldn't see them.  After a few minutes of trying to pick these out, I got the general idea of what makes this "miding" vegetable different.  And then I picked the most out of my group.
This idea of having a hard time picking out the right leaf could be an important idea of missionary work... still processing it in my head. I'll be thinking about it more later, but I think it's good that the member had to show us which ones were the good ones and which ones to leave alone. Just like they know which people are good investigators, etc.
Anyway this week was probably our most productive week. I had this crazy thought in my head to go through the area book and find all the names of people that DON'T have phone numbers on them, and then to just write down those names in my planner and just hunt them down. This has helped find some potential investigators, and one time we knocked on the wrong door  (cuz when it said the third floor of a place, it doesnt specify whether it is the left door or right door, so I knocked on the one that looked Christian, and the person answered, we asked if she knew the member we were looking for and she didn't know, and then I contacted her and she asked us to come and teach her a little bit. Nice little miracle for this week! :) )
Otherwise, we have had a few Christmas parties.  One on Saturday, again on Sunday.  Both were followed AFTER a baptismal service, one being the son of the branch president that just turned 18. The water accidentally started draining about an hour before, so it was pretty low.  President Gara tried getting him all the way down but failed the first time, and then everyone laughed! wow, I was a bit shocked. When I baptised somebody back in Bintulu, and had to do it twice, everyone was quiet. Quite a rowdy crowd here in Sibu.
This week is Christmas, or better known here as the Day of Eating. Yup... I will be eating all throughout the 24th and 26th.  More than any of you have ever eaten before in your life. It's.... going to be quite an experience. :) *gulp in fear*
Love
Elder Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment